Friday, August 15, 2014

Passenger: A True Musician

I had the opportunity to attend a concert and a pre-show sound check with Michael David Rosenberg, AKA Passenger. Apparently, about 10 minutes before the sound check I find out that I'll actually be attending a "Meet and Greet." Keep in mind no one had told me this. In the past, I've learned not to make assumptions. Let me explain why: I'd been a VIP at a concert before and not only did that not include a Meet and Greet well...let's just say the tickets I had were no where near the front front. So, I couldn't help but wonder what the point of being VIP was. But that's a story for another day folks.

So, back to the Passenger show. I was completely beyond surprised and that was not the first time that night that I'd experience that emotion. I had been expecting Passenger to arrive on stage to perform pre-show to the small, intimate group that was in attendance. The stage was all set and ready to go. However, Passenger stood on the concert FLOOR and performed among all of us in a semi-circle! Yes, I was in complete shock. The lights were on above the stage yet, Passenger preferred to be among the people. A man of the people Michael David Rosenberg truly is and he proved it that night. It was a truly moving pre-show. I can't describe how amazing it was to be right there! I mean I've been in the front row before but there is still a barrier that exists between even the front row and the stage. At that moment, there was no barrier; the music was just free to flow and be right there in the air, close enough to reach out and touch. And, truly we were all touched that night. Music is an amazing thing in that it has the ability to really mean something different to each person. Sure the songwriter has one idea of it but it is the listener who makes the song "their own."

If you are unfamiliar with Passenger and his music, I ask only that you take a moment to listen to one song. I highly recommend "All the Little Lights" but every song he sings has a meaning. It's not like the music that you hear now with the catchy choruses. Each of his songs are really true stories. 

Here is just a small bit of lyrics from the song "All the Little Lights:""We're born with millions/ Of little lights shining in the dark/ And they show us the way/ One lights up, every time you feel love in your heart/One dies when it moves away."

He goes on to talk specifically about the times in his life when lights have gone out. I'm just blown away every time I hear that song. And that's just one song. Every song he sings is like that one. And, he writes all his own music. Yes, truly a rare artist in the music industry these days.

What I took away from the night, among many things, is that Michael was both humble and gracious and a true performer. I am glad that I was able to have the opportunity to talk with him and let him know what an inspiration he is to myself and to all artists. This was a night that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment