Monday, August 18, 2014

Volo Dell'Angelo: Flight of the Angel

I witnessed the 104th Annual Fisherman's Feast closing ceremony.


The stage was set and flags were hung in dedication to those fisherman no longer living. The smell of eggplant parm wafted through the air. The streets were filled with vendors hawking cannolis and other Italian confectionaries. People walked about with GIANT stuffed animals roughly the size of a well-fed pony. This was my first time at the closing ceremony (until the very end.) I tried to watch it last year but I mistakenly took the schedule, which states the Flight of the Angel takes place at 8 pm, to be the gospel and found myself to be very very wrong. At 8 pm, there is a parade, followed by singing followed by well...more singing. At the point of "more singing" I basically had to call it a night.

This present time, I came prepared and knew that although the schedule stated 8 pm, there would be no angel in flight at that time. I was glad that I was able to see it through to the end. I must admit that amidst all the pomp and circumstance there is something more there. Allow me to explain.

There are three angels in total: two side angels who remain on the side and do not take flight and then one angel that does take flight. Now I know what you're thinking, "I can't believe that one of the angels was not you." It's okay folks. Please do not send angry letters to the Vatican. A grievous error has been made but forgiveness is what is needed, so save those angry letters, put down your pens and just read on.

So back to the gist of the flight: the angels all have a very long monologue in Italian that they clearly have practiced many times over. I will admit that I caught absolutely nothing of what any of them were saying even though I have been practicing my Italian flashcards (yes, I know what little help they were during the feast. They really need to make "Feast Edition Flashcards.") Then, the music plays, the confetti falls and the angel does in fact fly.


If you haven't seen the closing ceremony, then you really have not seen Boston. I know this advertising slogan is currently being used by the Blue Man Group. (I'll confess that I saw the Blue Man Group and thoroughly enjoyed the show, however, I also believe wholeheartedly that it is a show truly created by "MAN." I mean, let's face it, if a woman created it, would the climax of the show consisted of giant balls and toilet paper? No, women have a much larger repertoire when it comes to fun.) That being said, the slogan that they're using really does belong to the Flight of the Angel. I'm glad this year, I was able to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment