Sunday, February 22, 2015

Educator Resource Center Urgently Needed at BPL

I want to share an experience I had at the remodeled Boston Public Library. While there I took a seat to admire the state of the art Teen Room. However, within 2 seconds of sitting down, a librarian informed me that I could not sit there. I explained that I was an occupational therapist who works in the public school system. She informed me that without my students, I would be unable to sit there.

I was stunned. As an educator, I identified a great need for a space for educators and school support personnel within the BPL. $75.5 million dollars was spent on the BPL remodel. However, there is no designated educator space.

An Educator Resource Room is needed within the BPL. I am urgently advocating for a space specifically designated for teachers. The applications for educators to use the Resource Center for student achievement and success would be limitless. However, educators lack access to these invaluable resources.

Teachers have historically spent countless hours and countless expenditures from their own pocket to ensure that they have what they need for their classroom. It is a time for a change. The new library should incorporate a space that teachers have needed for so long. Now is that time.  

Within the new Teen Center the bright sign implores everyone to "READ." I couldn't help but note the irony of this sign when I was told quite emphatically that I needed to leave the room. As a writer, reader, journalist, teacher, advocate, and human being I hope that you join me in contacting agencies at the local, state, and national level. 

I have just sent the above (with the exception of the last paragraph and photo since all letters need to be 200 words or less) to local newspapers, the MTA, and NEA. I urge you to write a letter and contact these organizations as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment